» Another year went by.
I didn't blog much this year. Here's a short summary of what happened in 2006. (Note: Most of this is personal, so if you're here for Python stuff, feel free to skip. :-))
- The most disturbing event was probably my dad's heart attack. Fortunately he survived it, and is doing reasonably well now, to the point where he can slowly resume work again.
- We finally moved. Not very far, but at least we now have a home we can call our own. Sort of. ;-) 'Twas quite a struggle to get everything done. Apparently many mobile home companies around here are not actually interested in selling you anything. Anyway, not everything is an improvement: less space, higher mortgage, lousy internet connection (that last one is somewhat important if you work from home).
- After 2½ years, I visited the Netherlands again... just to leave again after 4 days, after an argument with my parents. (Well, it's a little more complex than that, but that's the gist of it.) Sigh. I'm going to try again in January.
- I finally found somebody I had not (and still haven't) seen for over 20 years, and whom I missed a lot. We were planning to meet in January (when I will be in the NL again), but as luck would have it, her computer/internet gave out, and I haven't heard from her in over two months now... so I probably won't see her after all. :-(
- As for the bond with my stepdaughter, this saw highs and lows too. Right now I'm not sure if there even is a bond. And that's probably all I should say about it. :-/
- Programming-wise, I didn't do much... didn't have the energy. Until recently, that is. I did tinker with some stuff, which was all spawned in late 2005, though. Hopefully 2007 will be better in that regard.
- I got myself a Mac again. So far, this has been a much happier experience than the previous attempt. (Read more.)
- I know
five six people (friends, family, ex-colleagues, etc) who had their first child last year. Mazzeltov to Karin, Ron, Bram, Annelies, Sarah and Marjolein. (What's that sound? That's my biological clock ticking loudly... :-D)
(Overall, 2006 wasn't so bad... better than 2005 when we had two deaths in the family.)